Thursday, August 18, 2005

Does this make sense to you?

Just a thought - why is it that supposedly non-child-friendly scripted TV shows are relegated to late-night while more disturbing reality-based content is available during daytime?

For instance.

The daytime talk shows that cover molestation, rape, marital infidelity, incest, murder, sex addiction, gambling, drugs, alcoholism, illegitimate parenting, etc. chronicle the lives of real people struggling with these issues, a truly mind-warping slice of the American people. Most are victims looking for some sort of resolution by telling their story to a nationwide audience, and also hope to educate the public about their experiences, which I can't say is a bad thing.

But the thing is, I'd rather my kid watch Conan O'Brien or Jay Leno (and not get the jokes anyway) than be exposed to the vicious truths of life at an early age. Not to say I don't want them to be educated, but I'd like that burden to fall on my (and my spouse's) shoulders, not network TV, as their primary goal is to make a buck based on entertainment value anyway.

Also, soap operas may not show explicit sex scenes, but the implication is there.

Let me just clarify: I'm very First Amendment oriented, I don't believe that any of the stuff I've mentioned should be censored. I just question the system that is in place - to a layman not acquainted with media law, the justification for how TV programs are rated seems arbitrary.

I mean, hey. I used to watch Johnny Carson and Dallas at night during the 80's, and I truly believe it was the Oprah and Phil Donahue that screwed me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home