Sunday, August 14, 2005

Saturday night

So, spur-of-the-moment, I ended up driving three hours away to have dinner with some of my extended family last night. Let me just say that as much as I travel, it is such a relief sometimes to be around people you essentially belong to. Family, they're great. They make room, you know? Wherever, whenever you come across them in life, they see you and they slide over and say, Sit down. Not always literally, but you get what I mean.

The only downside is you leave them feeling that you didn't have enough time, the conversation didn't get deep enough, you are alone again without having gotten to know them any better. And maybe, in some way that we can't predict, each time we see them means one less time that we will.

Okay, maybe that was a little too maudlin, but hey, goodbyes are bittersweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home