Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I'm a slack bridesmaid.

Thank God I'm not an event planner, cause I suck at this. I've already inspired the groom's two sisters to take the reins and plot out the bridal shower. I feel a little guilty about that, but what am I to do? It's hard to fit things like this in between gallavanting around the world. (cough)

But maybe, ultimately, it's a question of protocol. I'm the maid of honor, right? I'm 'handling' the bachelorette party (which includes a daytime spa portion). Granted, no real 'planning' has taken place, but the bare bones of the thing are there. Is the bridal shower supposed to be my responsibility too? Who can say?

Maybe if my family were affluent and I was born into a life of leisure, I'd know more about etiquette. (There's always a way to blame your parents.) Yes, and I would have been the quintessential debutante, replete with ruffly dresses and coming out parties and petit fours. Watercress sandwiches. Bon-bons. Parasols. Cats on leashes. Croquet. Flirtations with gardeners. Courtships. Antique pearls. A mysterious trunk in the attic..

But I digress! If anyone out there happens to have any suggestions so I don't turn out to be the most obnoxiously useless bridesmaid ever, I'd appreciate it.
(And don't say, "Don't get drunk at the reception." I'll be doing so regardless of social consequence.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd ask the bride what she wants. She might have family that wants to throw a party; I had 3 bridal showers: one thrown by my maid of honor (tiffany) & invites were friends, one a couple of ladies from church had for me & invites were church ladies, and then i had a cousin who had one for me & invited family members.

She also may or may not want a theme. E-mail me (candeanne@hotmail.com) if you need ideas. I was Tiffany's Maid of Honor & so I threw her shower.

Have fun, too! ~candace

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was gonna say don't get too drunk with the Best Man, and don't let him shag you on the hotel veranda. :-)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Alexandrialeigh said...

Having just completed my third term of Maid of Honor-hood, here are my suggestions:

*Don't get drunker than the bride at the bachelorette party. Someone has to be responsible, and there are always errands to run the next day--let the bride be the one hugging the toilet. She'll just be a bundle of nerves anyway, and that'll keep her mind off the impending ceremony.

*Don't fret over the perfect bachelorette party. As long as there's alcohol and a bit of naughtiness, everyone will have fun.

*Don't be afraid to ask everyone to pitch in on something (a limo, dinner, whatever) -- otherwise you'll end up spending WAY too much money.

(Not that I have done any of these things...)

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home