Friday, April 21, 2006

My lungs to me: "Thanks!"

It's been three days since I've had a cigarette. I've been told that 72 smoke-free hours breaks the physical addiction to nicotine, so presumably.. it's all downhill from here. I've been sorely tempted, especially since I found myself at several bars within my "cooling off" period, but somehow I managed to avoid the sweet, heady rush of that paper-encased goodness. Because the goodness is badness! Soylent Green is people!!

Let's just pause here and say, yaaaay (in the voice of Special Ed from Crank Yankers, no less).

One thing that helped (for any would-be non-smokers reading this and desperately hinging on my every smoke-free word for advice) was to have a last sort of blowout smoke-fest. Though I'd been smoking >5 fags per day, Monday night I got wasted and virtually flooded my organ tissues with nicotine. Let's just say that if my lungs were comparable to a nice medium-rare filet, that night they may have bordered on charred. Anyway, the next day I was so vomitous and bleary that I didn't get out of bed until 2:30 p.m., which considerably shortened my first smoke-free day. Plus, even the consumption of food that day was dubious.. so of course the very thought of my former friends, cigarettes, was making me gag.

And after going a full day, something I hadn't done in approximately 7 years, I was so proud of myself I couldn't let myself wreck it by smoking the next day.. and so on. I know this particular comparison is dreadfully inappropriate, but you know how when someone you love dies and people say it'll get easier with time and you don't believe it, but later realize it was true? Okay, maybe I'm reaching with that one.

I may be jumping the gun here, but today, I think I'll change my myspace profile to reflect my new non-smoking status. Say it with me one more time: yay!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You've passed the worst of it, which is a hell of a lot further than most get. I think you are more than justified in feeling proud of yourself now.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you - Blarg!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home