Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Why Mojo eats Science Diet.

I just saw a commercial for Iams dog food. The voiceover was from the perspective of a woman sappily relating how she gave her aging mother a dog and now they "run around like teenagers together." The music was inspiring, the dog/owner slow-mo shots touching. Okay, fine.. typical dog food commercial fodder so far, I thought. Then the daughter confided "Mom would just fall apart if anything were to ever happen to Buster." (probably as the dog and mom jogged down the beach toward a setting sun, but I confess, I wasn't really watching it all that carefully) Um, wait a minute. The mom was what, sixty-five? The dog had clearly reached adulthood. So the dog's going to be around for another ten, maybe fifteen years, then die, and the poor old mother's going to have to endure the agony of its death in her twilight years? My point is, I just really didn't think it was necessarily to grimly foreshadow the dog dying and the mother consequently ending up shattered and bereft, that's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home