Friday, August 19, 2005

Spaghetti-tastic!

So, I used to cook.

Hell, I used to manage a kitchen. I worked back-of-house for a certain beachfront restaurant for six hot, greasy, smelly, miserable years. Every college weekend found me churning out food sunup to sundown like an automaton.

The sad thing is, after peeling thousands of pounds of shrimp, grilling burger after burger, sauteeing so many onions, making soups in 10-gallon increments, and all the thawing, battering, scraping, dicing, mixing, measuring, etc, etc., somewhere in there, I lost my love of cooking.

Now that I've been out of the restaurant biz for a year (hooray!), ever so timidly, here comes creeping back my desire to take up cooking again.

Seeing as I spend approximately two-thirds of my time travelling, I'm forced to eat out most of the time. I think the idea of preparing food for myself is becoming somewhat of a novelty.

There's also the whole issue of cooking for one person. It just seems like a lot of effort to spend half an hour in the kitchen (more including dishwashing time) or longer just to feed myself.

Oh well. The whole point is, I'm slowly simmering a huge pot of spaghetti sauce right now and it's all pretty exciting right now. The anticipation. Even the mincing of the fresh basil was fun. Even washing the dishes was somehow satisfying.

Okay, I may be reaching there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alexandrialeigh said...

Just so you know: I'm trembling with anticipation for Sunday night's last episode of Six Feet Under. And it's more than 48 hours away...

1:59 PM  
Blogger Devashan said...

Holy crap. I MIGHT JUST BE ABLE TO WATCH IT IN SEATTLE.

(waiting with baited breath)

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home