Friday, September 23, 2005

A chance?

Sometimes, the universe throws an opportunity your way. Maybe it doesn't flatter you, make use of what you feel are your particular talents, but it lets you do something.

We've all run through a gamut of emotions since Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans - and sometimes the enormity of it just leaves us numb. Some of us, we do nothing because we can't bring ourselves to do everything - sell all worldly possessions and haul ass down there to do what we can with our own two hands. I mean, I donated my embarrassingly paltry amount through my company, who matched it, but.. I just felt guilty that I wasn't willing to do more. It wasn't enough.

But now I've been assigned by my company (and perhaps the universe at large?) to be a little more directly involved. In a couple days, I will be operating a flight out of Riverside, CA, to New Orleans to transport military personnel. Yeah, I'll still feel like if I were a true humanitarian, deeply enough immersed in my convictions, strong enough, fearless enough, I'd be one of them. So maybe it won't matter. We can't all be heroes, right?

But hell. I can at least make sure those that are have a decent flight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you - Blarg!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home