Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Okay, so that was all a lie.

I haven't been in Asia at all!!

I didn't mean to deceive you, people. I just entered the twilight zone of no (free) internet access (cause I'm cheap) and couldn't let you know.

I actually flew into Manston, England, which is a couple hours south of central London. We stayed in Canterbury for FIVE NIGHTS, incidentally, the longest layover I've ever had, anywhere.

(I just want to interject that as I type this, I'm on hold with Crew Scheduling and listening to a never-ending instrumental rendition of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?")

Anyway, those of you paying attention to the recent news in London might wonder how my travel experience fit into all that...

Well, I did spend a day in London, which was the day after the second bombings. On the streets, I couldn't discern a noticeable atmosphere of fear, except for the fact that they may have been much more crowded with tourists otherwise. However, I have a confession to make.. The price of my train ticket from Canterbury included free access to the tube (that's the subway for you Yanks) so I was all over that damn thing. Sorry, Mom. But I'm okay!!

The tube was practically deserted until later in the afternoon, when they closed almost all of the lines due to a police shooting. The bobbies (who typically do not carry guns) chased a man they believed was a terrorist bomber onto one of the tube cars, held him to the ground, and shot him five times in the head.

I picked up a copy of the paper on my way home, in which bystanders described the man as "Pakistani".. Noticeably absent, however, was any info proving or disproving whether Scotland Yard had gotten the right man. I found out the next day, he was just some Brazilian guy.

Think about this: I braved the tube all day that day, worrying only about potential terrorist action. Not wanting to, but looking at Muslim-appearing passengers with suspicion. But what if I looked Middle Eastern? Then I'd have a whole new concern - my palms would sweat if I saw the police, they'd stare me down.. and if for some strange reason I bolted from them, they'd shoot me.

I don't blame the London police for their response to the horrors of these recent attacks. I just reel when I consider the far-flung implications of what is going on today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home