Thursday, November 17, 2005

Plavix

Has anyone else out there seen these commercials for Plavix, some kind of medication that's supposed to lessen the chance of getting a blood clot, or something?

I mention it because it irks me, this commercial. I swear it was written by someone whose first language wasn't English, because it's just a little off. What am I talking about?

Okay. It starts out with some kind of dumb mock testimonial, and I've seen two versions.. One refers to "Bob" and one "Carol." Now, the one with "Carol" is perhaps more amusing because the two variations essentially follow the same script except for different gender pronouns.

Anyway, it goes something like, "At 5'9", Carol is a formidable woman. But she was no match for something smaller than a pencil point. That something was a clot." At this point it goes on to extoll the benefits of Plavix, blabbity-blah, and at the end, once again, the voiceover warns: "No matter how formidable you are, YOU, too, are no match for a dangerous clot!"

For some reason the word clot is really starting to gross me out. I've never heard a blood clot just referred to as a clot, and goddamnit, that commercial bothers me. I kinda wish they still wouldn't let drug companies advertise on TV. All it does is make everyone borderline hypochondriacs. Plus the commercials are annoying.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actullyit was probably written by lawyers which in turn answers backs up your observation- It's not written by someone who's first language is english.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you don't know me that well, but I love your blogs.. But my Uncle died of a blood clot. Deep Vein Thrombosis.... Which is a blood clot.. He was flying from Argentina to London and got off the plane and died because of a blood clot.. So that is why they have those silly commercials. I love to read your blogs, but I just thought I would let you know that their are people out there that need that medicine.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Devashan said...

anon-

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, and I'm sorry you misunderstood the intent of my blog.. I don't know much about blood clots, but I understand they're serious and often fatal. I didn't mean to criticize the medicine itself, how could I, when it saves lives? I was criticizing the commercial. Years ago, it was not legal for drug companies to advertise prescription drugs on television. Now we are constantly inundated with them, it seems. I don't mean to trivialize any particular illness/medication, I just picked a commercial that I seem to see a LOT of, to make my point about prescription drug commercials in general. Thanks for your comment, though, and please keep reading :)

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home